• Beginning in late October or November, provide supplemental feed for bulls on dry grass according to age and condition.
• Evaluate cows’ body condition score (BCS) at weaning. Develop winter nutrition program to have cows at a BCS of six at calving to enhance rebreeding performance.
• Check with your Extension office for information on educational meetings about livestock and forage production
• If fall calving, lactating cows need to be in good condition for breeding, a BCS of at least 5.5.
• Treat cattle for lice if needed.
• If spring calving, check the weaned steer and heifer calves regularly to produce desired gains.
• In spring calving enterprises, if culling is not completed in September and october, it should be completed this month.
• Check your financial management plan and make appropriate adjustments before the end of the year.
• Monitor the herd continuously for health problems.
• Treat cows for internal parasites if needed.
• If spring calving, identify the purebred herds and test stations at which you want to look for herd sires. Check sale dates and review performance criteria to use.