It’s Time For A New Beginning…
Spring will begin at the end of February, so there is much to do this month. Now is the time to prune, plant & fertilize.
Sowing Seeds: There are a variety of seeds that should be planted in the open ground by the end of the month. Here are a few examples:
- Sweet Alyssum – this is a hardy plant that will bloom in the fall through the following spring.
- Blanket Flower – this is great for attracting butterflies. It will bloom in late spring through the fall.
- Dianthus – very fragrant ans will attract butterflies. This plant will flower October through June.
- Larkspur – will bloom from March to June, and attract butterflies.
- Shrimp Plant – will bloom late spring through the first frost. This colorful plant will attract both butterflies and hummingbirds.
- Snap Dragon – they will blossom all year, except the full heat of the summer.
This is also a great time to plant a variety of plant bulbs, like Calla Lilies, Dahlia, and Dwarf Iris.
What’s Blooming… Azalea, Gerbera, Bougainvillea Vines, and Verbena.
Time To Prune…
Don’t forget about your fruit trees, bushes, and shrubs. If you have not already done so, you should prune all trees and shrubs now.
- Make sure you remove all dead or diseased wood.
- Give your roses their annual pruning, and plant any bare root roses.
- Fertilize all trees and shrubs (except Azaleas).
Don’t forget about your lawn!
This is a great time for preventative care.
- Soil testing.
- Treat for weeds, pests and disease
- Lay seed.
Welcome Spring! Don’t forget about birds, and other small animals. Refill all small animal feeders, or try one of our Wildlife Blocks!