Summer and warmer weather also mean mosquitos. Take care now to eliminate the environment that mosquitoes need to live and breed. Here are some tips to consider as you prepare your home and yard for summer:
- Look for standing water, that is where you’ll find mosquito larva. Check your gutters, make sure they are clean and clear from standing water.
- Care for your lawn. Keep grass short and don’t overwater.
- Treat your bubblier and French drain lines along with rain barrels and saucers for the potted plants.
- Promote an environment that combats mosquitos! Purple martins, bats and dragonflies. Mosquitos are a favorite snack.
- Consider these plants in the garden and around your patio, as most have a repellant effect. Here is a list of plants that may help repel mosquitos:
- Basil: This delicious herb is not only helpful in the kitchen, but basil also is believed to keep away mosquitoes and flies.
- Lemon thyme: This aromatic herb thrives in sunny, dry conditions, along pathways and rock gardens. For best results, bruise the leaves and rub them between your fingers to release the herb’s essential oils.
- Catnip: Yes, the cats love this pretty herb, but the mosquitoes apparently do not.
- Citronella grass: The perennial is the source of citronella oil used in pest repellant and the commonly found mosquito candles.
- Mint: Place the mint-filled pots around your home to help repel mosquitoes. Or, use the fragrant mint leaves to make an all-natural mosquito repellant.
- Lemon balm: This member of the mint family has an aroma that is said to naturally repel mosquitoes and other insects.
- Consider changing your outside lighting to yellow light bulbs or lenses.
- Use Skeeter Screen Mosquito Egg. They are perfect for any social place outdoors, also offered in a spray.
The use of sprays and granule repellents in the environment is an option. Some all-natural sprays include citronella, garlic and orange oil sprays. Granulated cedar and garlic work as repellents. Bonide Mosquito Beater products are great products t to keep those pesky biting insects away. Come by your Steinhauser’s location to get rid of mosquitos today!